If you’ve been following my blog for the past year, then it should come as no surprise that the catering menu was one of my favorite things to work on for my wedding. Our Fall wedding in Birmingham, AL was such a fun time of year to plan the food around. Kay and Haley at Cafe IZ catering sat down with me on multiple occasions to go over ideas and execution of the wedding day menu. I brought ideas and a budget and we worked through how everything would be made and presented for my big day!
Wedding Catering Tips from the Pros
Cafe Iz was my number one choice for wedding caterers in Birmingham, AL. They are experts at putting on weddings and large events, so even though I really wanted smoked salmon with a whipped dill foam on top, they kindly steered me away from that item, as raw and smoked fish are usually unpopular among wedding guests. Who knew?
Here are some other tips I learned from my wedding caterers in Birmingham, AL. These dos and don’ts of catering can be applied for any type of large event.
- Serve what makes you happy. If you have an idea, run it by them to see if the execution would be as good in person
- Offer a variety of options for all types of appetites and allergies
- Serve menu items that people will recognize and don’t skip over
- Serve raw or smoked fish
- Serve cold dishes at an outdoor wedding (no one likes hot cheese!)
- Feel like you have to serve beef tenderloin to 300 people — you don’t!