Wind your way through Mountain Brook, Alabama and you’ll find some of the state’s most beautiful architecture, most affluent shops, and some amazing eats along the way.
We lived on the outskirts of Mountain Brook in Crestline Park for a few years and I had the pleasure of driving through the winding roads each day. One of my favorite things about Mountain Brook is the vast amount of trees that overhang and hug the roads. This area of Birmingham is home to some of my absolute favorite architecture. You’ll find yourself charmed by the oversized estates, as well as the cute cottages.
Personally, I go to Homewood to eat and I go to Mountain Brook to shop! All of the pockets of Mountain Brook have fabulous shopping for men, women, children, and for the home. One of my favorite shops to visit is Eleven Eleven Clothiers. They have the coolest curation of athleisure and elevated basics! If you’re reading from outside Birmingham, don’t worry you can shop their selections online as well!
The unofficial tagline of Mountain Brook, AL should be: It Takes a Village!
One of the many reasons why I love Mountain Brook, AL is the way the city is built around three main villages that are filled with some of Birmingham’s best businesses. Today, I’m going to take you through my favorite and most noteworthy spots in each village!
Mountain Brook Village
- Brick N Tin: Cute, trendy, uses local and sustainable ingredients, restaurant +bar + bakery, (has the best gluten-free/flourless cookies)
- Davenport’s Pizza Palace: Family-owned, old-school pizzeria serving up thin-crust pies & salads, plus lunch specials
- Char Bar No. 7: Upscale Sports Bar
- Daniel George: Gulf seafood, game & local produce share the menu at this white-tablecloth American restaurant..great for special occasions!
- Abhi Eatery and Bar: Asian Fusion/Sushi Restaurant
- Watkin’s Branch Bourbon and Brasserie: located in Mountain Brook Village, serving hearty small plates sourced from Alabama farms paired with an extensive bourbon list, craft beer, wine, and other spirits
- Golden Age: Hip and modern wine bar serving the world’s best wines,
- Olexa’s Catering, Cafe and Cakes: Crepes, sandwiches & baked goods served in a charming cafe designed to evoke a European streetscape
- Ouslers: chicken salad and pimento cheese sandwiches
- Sol Y Luna Tapas and Tequila: “a unique Mexican experience”, brunch+lunch+dinner+drinks
- Habitat Feed & Social: All-day dining room & bar in the Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook for modern American cuisine)
- Another Broken Egg Cafe: Breakfast + brunch, casual chain featuring egg dishes & other breakfast items plus brunch sandwiches & a specials board
- The Gardens Cafe by Kathy G: Located in Botanical Gardens. The perfect venue for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridesmaid luncheons, teas, corporate lunches and dinners, receptions, and other private events
- Mountain Brook Creamery: Straightforward ice cream parlor with specialty sundaes & a modest seating area
- Shop Etc.: Jewelry like Marla Aaron, Spinelli Kilcollin, and Golden Goose
- Stella Blu: Women’s boutique
- Milla: Women’s boutique
- M. LAVENDER Clothing: Women’s boutique
- Eleven Eleven Clothier: Women’s trendy athleisure
- Village Sportswear: Women’s clothing
- Harrison Limited: Men’s clothing store
- Swoop: Children’s clothing store
- Leaf and Petal: Amazing selection of plants, pots and unique home accessories
- Bromberg’s: a Birmingham staple for custom and designer jewelry, engagement rings, watches, as well as fine china and other pieces for the home. Many Birmingham locals who are engaged register here for their wedding gifts!
- Table Matters: Thoughtfully curated selection of high-end home goods, specializing in table settings
- Patina: home decor shop, and headquarters of Melanie Pounds Interior Design firm
- Speed Spa
- The Atelier
- Post Office Pies
- Urban Cookhouse: Quick, counter-service spot offering sandwiches, salads & entrees with a focus on local produce
- Crestline Bagel Company: Bustling strip-mall bakery serving NY-style bagels & breads, plus sandwiches & baked goods
- Church Street Coffee: Locally roasted brews, scratch-made baked goods & popular literature offered in a laid-back cafe (also known for their “breakup cookies”!)
- Dyron’s Lowcountry: Seasonal, locally sourced Southern fare is presented in a comfy-chic space with Sunday brunch
- Ollie Irene: Cozy, vibrant bistro pairing creative seasonal dishes with handcrafted cocktails and beer
- Slims Pizzeria: Relatively new. I haven’t visited but it’s on my list!
- R & R Liquors: Great liquor and wine selection and the people are always really nice. Ask about their wine tastings
- La Paz: Casual Mexican dining offers familiar dishes plus margaritas & outdoor seating
- Porch: Cute, trendy, and delicious Southern fusion food. Check their Instagram for brunch and other specials
- Taco Mama- Crestline: Casual eatery offering build-your-own tacos & burritos alongside a standard menu of Mexican fare
- Smith’s Variety: Variety shop.. party supplies, stationery, gifts, toys, candles, purses, baby clothes
- Duke’s Clothier: Has the brands Koch, Loveshack Fancy, Etc… Very Cute!
- Elle Boutique: Women’s boutique
- Pants Store: Clothing & Shoes for women, men, children of all ages
- ALKMY: Gift shop
- Mountain Brook Sporting Goods: Sports equipment/clothes
- Please Reply
- Lamb’s Ear
- Otey’s Tavern: Great atmosphere for bar-style food, live music and just hanging with friends!
- Continental Bakery: Tranquil nook with quaint decor, for traditional European-style breads, pastries, & light fare
- Chez Lulu: Funky French cafe serving up tarts, soups, & gourmet sandwiches on bread from an on-site bakery
- Evelyn’s Southern Fare: Located in English Village, family living room atmosphere
- Monkee’s of Mountain Brook: Upscale women’s boutique
- Vino: Intimate, an elegant eatery offering upscale American & Mediterranean fare plus wines
- Amparo Fine Living: An eclectic home goods and lifestyle store featuring local artists like Gabrielle Saifi
- Mpower Pilates: best and hardest workout ever! Always have great instructors and playful playlists. You can find other locations in Crestline and Mountain Brook Village
- Henhouse Antiques
- Home with Hechart: I follow them on Instagram, but haven’t been to their store. I bet it’s a dream!
There are so many things to explore in Mountain Brook, AL. If you are rolling through Birmingham, be sure to stop off in one of the villages. I think you could probably hit all three in one day just to gain a real sense of what each one has to offer. If you’re a house junkie like me, make sure you have a driver so you can sit passenger side and admire all the houses!
Until my next Bham Local Guide comes out, you can find me strolling the serendipitous streets of Mountain Brook, or bellied up to the bar at the Grand Bohemian hotel. CHEERS!